Thursday, July 13, 2017

Writing, Literature, and Blood

I've been pondering for weeks now. As I continue to struggle with course-work, a full-time job, parenting, and all that comes with those things, I keep asking myself why I am doing this to myself. Particularly now that I know accounting is not where I want to be in the future. I took a quick peek at the requirements for Associate of Arts in English (Teaching)  and most of the credits I have earned so far count towards the degree. It would mean shifting my focus off of mathematics, and on to classes regarding teaching, special education, psychology, and of course Literature. All of which sound right up my alley, and something I would love to work hard at, instead of feeling like I'm banging my head against a wall, trying to learn something that makes a very little sense. It would also put me on track for the Bachelors program at University of Wyoming I plan to pursue once I've obtained the Associates.

I've emailed my advisor, to see what he says and recommends. As someone who enjoys accounting and math, I know he will be sad to lose a student from that field of study. But I am realizing more and more, this pursuit needs to be about what I want to do with my life. I've wanted to be an archaeologist, a geologist, and all kinds of different things. My mainstay has always been writing and story-telling, for as long as I can remember. Teaching young people about the construction of story, and why story is so elemental to human life, is something I can be incredibly passionate about. And as a writer, well that's the benefit, isn't it? As a writer, you can explore whatever research you want to write about, without needing to pursue a degree in that specific field of study. Although that can also happen.

Once I have heard back from my advisor I will make my final decision, although I already know this is the direction my heart wants to go. I finally figured out what I want to be when I grow up. I want to be a College level English Teacher.

I may still see about pursuing a Certificate program in Book-keeping, just because it is practical knowledge to have, and a practical fallback if nothing else. But I am at a point, I just don't feel like I have the time to waste on getting a degree in something just for practicality's sake.

In the meantime, research has led me to finally understanding that you can be iron deficient without being anemic. It's actually a very common cause of fatigue and a plethora of other symptoms I deal with, in women of "child-bearing" (the politically correct way of saying women who still menstruate) age. It's generally not diagnosed, because Doctors pull a CBC, which is great for detecting anemia. However, it does not tell you when Ferritin levels are low, which is a separate and less commonly ordered test, and even those within the low-normal range tend to complain of fatigue, lethargy, brittle finger nails, thinning hair, etc. (Hematology is fascinating stuff.) I also found out that the form of iron found in your typical supplement is not easily absorbed by the body. So I have a chelated form of iron supplement on its way, along with a magnesium supplement. I also learned that it is easier for the body to absorb iron from meat than it is from vegetable sources, and that's part of the reason many vegetarians can still suffer iron deficiency even though they may be eating an iron rich diet. Also high saturated fats, coffee, and tea interfere with iron absorption. Though I don't foresee myself giving up my morning cup of coffee anytime soon.

It will take a few months for iron levels to rebuild, but here's hoping that this will help me get some of my energy back. The Prenatal vitamins I have been taking have helped, but only so much, so I am hoping the supplement with higher absorption rate will make the difference. We also have another blood-draw coming up, and I am eager to see if my platelets have gone back down to a normal range, or if they are still ranging high.

No comments: