Friday, June 16, 2017

Work, Education, Diet, and Exercise


I am exhausted right now. Work has picked up, and is getting back to being as hectic as I was used to it being. Which I’m hoping is a good sign for the Wyoming economy. The truth of the matter is though, our state needs to diversify, instead of solely depending on the energy, cattle ranching, and tourism industries to generate revenue and jobs. But that’s a post for another time.

I have not been keeping up with homework this week. Being that the summer semester is condensed, I think I bit off more than I can chew. So now there’s the question of do I withdraw from a couple of classes, or push through? I never have much enjoyed the idea of quitting anything once started. But I still have to remember I am choosing to do this.

Yoga class seems to be my saving grace at the moment. Many days, today for instance, I don’t want to go. But once I am there, I enjoy it, and the resting moments at the end to simply relax after working and stretching all the major and micro muscles in my body, are priceless, and sanity preserving. I wish I could continue to take it alongside my other course work for the rest of school, as I do think it’s helping to keep me grounded.

I’m especially appreciative of it now, after a blood clot landed my 80 year old grandmother in the hospital this week. She’s doing ok, and they’ve moved her from ICU to a room. But she is 80, and has already lost her husband. I am not ready to lose my grandmother to a pulmonary embolism or anything else. Fortunately my Aunts and Uncles live close to her, and don’t mind calling in the cavalry to insist on seeing the doctor when it’s appropriate, no matter how stubborn she tries to be.

The culprit behind the clot was cited as inactivity. She spends a great deal of time sitting at a desk conducting genealogy research. My Uncle is going to make sure those long periods of inactivity are broken up, to prevent this problem from occurring again. And being that I seem to be developing a similar metabolism, and body structure to my grandmother, as well as working at a job that requires I sit at a desk for long periods of time, to then go home and do school work, all adds up to one conclusion for me. I need to stay active where I can to help mitigate those kinds of health problems in the future. Yoga fits the bill nicely. So after this semester I may see if I can work a class at a local studio into my budget and schedule.

I was also introduced to a meal planning service, called HelloFresh. I was gifted a free box this week, 3 meals for 2 people. So I made up all three last night so the family could sample them. It was a rave hit. So as part of my grocery budget I’m going to subscribe to it on the family plan. It’ll at least give me three nights a week where dinner is a no-brainer. All of the ingredients are fresh, and meals are put together by dieticians, to be healthy, as well as easy prep and cooking. It also saves me a few trips to the grocery store, which I hope will cut down on impulse buys. It seems expensive upfront, but really, we spend more money putting together that many meals with less nutritional value. Because by the time we get off of work, we’re too tired to try to come up with something creative for dinner, and default to the easy prep meals full of preservatives. For me, with the added pressure of trying to get homework crammed into the evening, the last thing I want to do is engage in mental gymnastics to keep everyone’s palates happy, while trying to get something halfway nutritious into them. Plus, the recipes are pretty easy to follow, and it can be a good tool for teaching the teenagers some cooking skills beyond ramen noodles and spaghetti. Then they can wow future partners with what looks and tastes like gourmet cooking, but is really rather easy.

 The kiddos are enjoying their summer, and we’re gearing up for Father’s Day weekend. Although I have a feeling tomorrow I will need to closet myself to knock out homework, so I can be available to the family on Sunday. Happy Father’s day to all of the dads out there. Hope it’s a good one.

No comments: